Phew – just had a bit of a saga configuring an SX425W Epson printer onto a Win 7 Acer all-in-one system for a client.
Initially the install seemed to go well but when the customer rebooted his system the Epson could not be found. Asa result he called me back out to site.
On investigation the system had, for some reason, created a second non-existent TCP port (192.168.0.6) whereas the printer was using 192.168.0.5. As soon as the system rebooted it tried and failed to find the non-existent port and then would not initiate the correct port for the printer.
The incorrect port could not be removed via the printer dialogue, responding with port in use, so the fix was to remove the port via the registry using regedit.
This is achieved by deleting the key (folder) for the incorrect port from
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors\Standard TCP/IP Ports
Although this addressed the issue, at first it appeared that there was still a problem.
On reboot of the system, an Acer Aspire Z5700 All-in-One PC, the wireless printer takes a over two minutes to communicate and initialise.
I suspect that this is due to the auto loading of apps and drivers. To provide visual confirmation that the printer is ready to print I made the Intel Rapid Storage Technology icon permanently visible in the status bar as we found the printer would not initialise until this application had completed its load.
One last thing on this one. When installing the printer software and drivers from the Win 7 disk that came with the device, the install program fails at the last stage on each occasion, reporting missing files. I suspect that this may be related to the initial problem of multiple ports being created.
In short I’ll be avoiding selling this printer for Win 7 systems in the future.